Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Spring tryouts for Rep hockey will not be permitted this year. As a result, many organizations are selecting their teams for the 2021-22 season without holding tryouts. We are allowing our HGHA coaches to do the same.
If you are interested in playing Rep hockey next year please reach out to the coaches listed here: https://www.hgha.ca/article/62812
OWHA 2020/2021 HOCKEY SEASON
- OWHA season normally goes to mid April, is then followed by tryouts in some divisions/categories running to the end of May and then followed with OWHA sanctioned, spring/summer non-traditional hockey development programs that are approved through application to the OWHA.
- This season, OWHA does not require separate applications for non-traditional hockey summer programs and will use the application process that is currently in place due to Covid-19.
- For OWHA sanctioned hockey, OWHA registration and insurance is in place until August 31, 2021 for participants who have been properly registered with OWHA and who are in good standing and who are rostered to OWHA approved teams.
- OWHA may sanction acceptable development programming for the 2020/2021 hockey season up to and including August 31, 2021.
- Applications must be submitted on the OWHA form, meet compliance requirements, and receive prior written approval from OWHA.
- All participants must be registered and meet requirements.
- OWHA will approve physical distanced training and modified 3 v 3, 4 v 4 and 5 v 5, where allowed, for the remainder of the 2020/21 season.
- All players, team staff and others must be registered with the OWHA before participation.
- All team staff must meet all requirements including but not limited to certification, VSS/CRC, RIS Activity Leaders and must follow all policies & procedures such as 2-deep.
- Players MUST be in ONLY 1 Extended Group and may not switch.
- Permission to Skate is NOT permitted.
- Tryouts are NOT permitted.
- Registration for the 2020/2021 season is valid until August 31, 2021 for OWHA approved programs.
NOTE: OWHA does not support non-sanctioned hockey and there is no support or insurance coverage for non-sanctioned programs or activities. This includes, but is not limited to outside private groups and also to currently registered OWHA participants who rent ice or engage in activities that are not sanctioned such as renting private ice and running activities.
NOTE: If the Ontario government changes the requirements for sport, the OWHA will review options and opportunities.
OWHA 2021/2022 HOCKEY SEASON
- OWHA plans to open the RAMP registration portal for the 2021/22 season on April 1, 2021 (subject to change).
- This is for Associations and Independent Teams to re-register current participants who are registered with your association/independent team and to sign up new players to hockey.
- Associations & Independent Teams are reminded of the importance of transparency of fees based on the uncertain aspects of hockey/Covid as there is no availability for traditional hockey opportunities at this time.
- Associations & Independent Teams are reminded of the importance of the August 31/September 1 transition date for registration & insurance.
- A player may be released at any time, but it is very important to note:
- Once released, the player no longer has any of the benefits of your hockey program
- The player may not have anywhere to participate, once released, based on both the OWHA requirements and the Covid-19 restrictions
- A player may only participate in one Extended Group and players are not permitted to switch these groups even if they do not participate for 14 days or longer.
- The OWHA is monitoring the requirements very closely as we move towards a new season.
- Permission to Skate is NOT permitted.
- Tryouts are not permitted.
- We encourage associations to work with players and other associations in the best interests of players.
- Player evaluations may not be possible in the traditional manner. Players could be evaluated at physical distanced training and in modified games within your own association.
- Tampering is not permitted, and a player registered with an association may not be approached to play for another association without the permission of her current association.
- TBD - expected to be more local with less travel and limited to inside Ontario.
- Not being sanctioned at this time. May be limited to local Ontario teams
- Spring events cancelled
- Women’s World Championship currently planned but moved to May
- Ontario Summer Games 2021 uncertain
- Fall events being monitored
- Effective January 1, 2021, any violations of OWHA Covid-19 Return to Hockey requirements and protocols will result in a minimum suspension of 3 months to the individual and/or organization responsible and a fine of $1000.00 to the relevant association. Any repeat offence may result in a minimum 1-year suspension and/or expulsion for the individual and/or relevant organization from OWHA.
OWHA OFFICIATING PROGRAM
- Entry Level to High Performance including National and International Assignments.
- OWHA Supervisors and Instructors and Referee-in-Chief.